Are you tired of receiving unwanted calls or texts on your cell phone from telemarketers? If so, you should consult with an experienced lawyer to find out how you can put a stop to these unwanted calls. None of us like to stop everything that we are doing just to answer an unwanted phone call. Although these phone calls occur throughout the day, there is a way to stop them. In this blog, we explain why you need an attorney to stop telemarketer abuse.
While you can ask telemarketers to stop contacting your cell phone, more often than not, it won’t stop their calls. There is even a registry called the National Do Not Call Registry, which is supposed to stop the unwanted calls after 31 days. Although telemarketers are prevented from calling someone on the Do Not Call Registry, they are allowed some leeway. There is a "safe harbor" for unintentional mistakes made by telemarketers. If they can prove that their call meets all the requirements of the safe harbor, they won't have to pay penalties for mistakenly calling someone on the registry.
In order to meet safe harbor requirements, the telemarketing company must show:
- It has written procedures to comply with the do not call requirements
- It trains its employees in do not call procedures
- It monitors and enforces compliance with do not call procedures
- It keeps a company-specific list of telephone numbers that can’t be called
- It accesses the national registry no more than 31 days before calling consumers and documents this process
- That any call violating the do not call regulations was an error and not made intentionally
Because of the leeway afforded to telemarketers, it can be difficult to stop their abusive calls. This is why it is important to hire an experienced lawyer who is familiar with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) . A TCPA attorney can ensure that your legal rights are protected and put an end to unwanted telemarketer calls.
Contact our Chicago TCPA lawyers to get started on your free case evaluation today.